Saturday 16 April 2011

Artic monkeys-record store day 7"



As you'll know yesterday was record store day-a day where you're meant to celebrate the independent record store-truth is many chancers come out of the woodwork so they can cash in on the limited edition items that are made up for the day by sticking them on Ebay. Anyway, to some of us who get involved because we actually love music it's nice to pick up those exclusive items-well, if you're lucky enough-my local store had a huge queque waiting around the corner but I managed to get there early and get a decent spot and pick up most of my wants. Rather than go on about the releases like the Revelation represses and the bad brains 7" that no doubt loads of other bloggers will put up (probably much better) postings of I thought I'd surprise people by mentioning an item by one of the bands not many people know I like-The Artic monkeys. Yes I do like them, a lot in fact but like a few other folk I was pretty let down with their last album-the first two were great but that one just didn't do it for me somehow, maybe they were just trying to get away from the formula that I loved so much on the first two albums and it just didn't work, I don't know. I do know however that these two new songs from the forthcoming album are absolutely killer. I'll definitely be buying a copy of that when it comes out. This 7" made up exclusively for yesterday is about as basic as you can get-packaging wise but trust me when the needle drops it sounds great-the two tracks are 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair' and 'Brick by brick'. Not sure how many were actually pressed but I'm pleased I bagged one.

No comments: